Jane Goff was elected to her first six-year term on the State Board in 2008, and re-elected to a second term in 2014. Jane is a Colorado native and lifelong resident of the metro Denver area. She is both a graduate and retired employee of Jefferson County Public Schools, where she enjoyed a 34-year career as a classroom teacher, curriculum coordinator and teacher association leader.
Jane taught middle and high school French and Spanish for 26 years, followed by 8 years in Jeffco's Human Resources and Learning and Achievement divisions. She served as Jeffco's Coordinator of World Languages and International Student Exchange from 2003 until her retirement in 2006.
During her years in Jeffco, Jane coordinated the district’s first Administrator and Teacher Performance Pay Pilots, served on the Jeffco PTA Board of Directors and helped to design the Links for Learning program, a teacher-employer partnership between the Jeffco Schools and the West Chamber of Commerce. In 1998, she was the first teacher graduate of Leadership Jefferson County and served four years as Vice President for Education on the Jefferson Symphony Board of Directors.
Jane was president of the Jefferson County Education Association from 1998-2000 and vice-president of the Colorado Education Association from 2000-2006. Following retirement, she worked as a legislative aide for the Colorado House of Representatives.
In 2010, Jane received the Colorado Congress of Foreign Language Teachers Friend of Foreign Languages Award and was selected to join 23 fellow educators nationwide in the 3rd annual U.S. Educators Tour of Japan, sponsored by the Japan Foundation of the United States.
Jane served as President of the National Association of State Boards of Education in 2014 and as Immediate Past President in 2015. Prior to the presidency positions, Jane had served one year as President-elect and three years as Western Region Director. She received NASBE's 2018 Distinguished Service Award, which honors current and former state board members who have made exceptional contributions to education
Jane currently serves as the State Board's Democratic contact to the state legislature and as
the Colorado Board's representative to NASBE's Governmental Affairs Committee.
Jane is a current or former appointed member or liaison to several national, state and local boards, committees and councils:
National Association of State Boards of Education (NASBE)
- Elections Committee, 2018
- Government Affairs Committee (GAC), Colorado designee, 2016-present
Nominating Committee, 2015-present; 2015 (Chair)
Editorial Advisory Board, 2016-2018
Immediate Past President, 2015
- President, 2014
- President-elect, 2013
- Western Region Area Director, 2010-2013
- National Teachers Hall of Fame Inductees Selection Committee, 2013
- Public Education Positions Committee, 2010-2012 (Chair)
- State Board Democratic Legislative Contact, 2015-present
- State Board designee, CDE Research Review Panel, 2017-present
- State Board Liaison, Gifted Education State Advisory Committee, 2008-present
- Colorado Teacher of the Year Selection Committee, 2009-present
- Colorado Milken Family Foundation Teaching Awards Nominations Committee, 2009-present
- State Board Commissioner Search Subcommittee, 2015-2016
- Governor's Education Leadership Council (ELC), 2013-2016
- Colorado Department of Higher Education Remediation Policy Review Advisory Board
- Individual Career and Academic Plan (ICAP) Workgroup
- Colorado School Counselor Association
- Colorado State Accountability Network
- Colorado Teacher Cadet Advisory Council
- Colorado Youth Advisory Council Teen Suicide Prevention Work Group
- State World Language Advisory Council
- Adams County Youth Initiative Community Leaders Council, 2016-present
- Adams County Education Consortium and Postsecondary Partnerships Network, 2009-present
- Aurora Public Schools Vista PEAK P-20 Campus Advisory Council
- Jefferson County Schools Strategic Planning Advisory Council
- Evergreen High School Model Counseling Program Advisory Board
Jane earned her degree in Modern Language Education-French
at CSU-Ft. Collins and graduate hours in school administration
and counseling at CU-Boulder.
Jane and her husband Harry, also a native Coloradan and
graduate of Denver Public Schools, have lived in Arvada for 32 years.